Tips For Supporting Someone With A Covid Diagnosis
Instead of Saying:
- It's no big deal -- my friend had it and got over it.
- Don't Worry! You'll be fine.
- You should have been more careful!
- I'm here for you.
- Do you want to talk about it?
- What can I do to help?
- Would you like me to just listen?
The truth is there is no way to know how COVID will affect anyone and learning of a new diagnosis can be a distressing time. So, when in doubt, practice empathic listening to truly let someone know you care.
Make sure you are listening to:
Understand. Not dominate.
Support. Not solve.
Affirm. Not minimize
Things you can do to support someone in quarantine with COVID-19...
- Play apps or virtual games with them
- Ask them what they need
- Drop off books/comic books/toys
- Be present virtually
- Zoom check-ins
- Make video or regular voice calls
- Drop off meals or their favorite goodies