Questions to Ask When Visiting Health and Healing Professionals – Pre-Visit
Getting ready to visit a health & healing professional can bring up a lot of different feelings and questions. To help with this, we made a list of important questions you can ask before you meet with your doctor or wellness practitioner.
- Do they take my insurance? Are there payment options?
- What symptoms am I experiencing that I want to focus on?
- Do I know my medical history (including past or current conditions and/or surgeries I have had)? Are there any illnesses in my family history?
- Do I have any allergies to medication? What medications or supplements am I taking?
- Is there anything I need until my appointment (medication, food, transportation, someone to talk to)?
- Who are the trusted members of my support system? Can someone come with me?
- What characteristics am I looking for in a health and healing professional (e.g. race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, languages spoken) and why?
- Is it important that my identity/ies be reflected in my provider?
- Is the health questionnaire or history form inclusive of my identities and experience?
Does the provider have experience working with Black folks who reflect my own sexual and gender identities?
- Does the provider have reliable access options (e.g. online scheduling, wheelchair access, available interpreters)?