P.A.U.S.E. - Image Description:
Tips for Self De-escalation.
P - Pay attention to my body, thoughts, and feelings
- What happens to my body when I get angry? (i.e., clenched fist, elevated heart rate) These are messages that I need to pause. Am I breathing? What story am I telling myself?
A - Assess what is activating me
- What feelings are being activated? Do I not feel heard? Do I feel misunderstood? Am I upset about what was said or something else that happened to me recently?
U - Understand the roots of my feelings
- What values of mine are being challenged? Am I seeking to resolve a disagreement or maintain power and control over something or someone else?
S - Set boundaries, separate, ensure safety
- If you are not able to show up in dignity and respect, step away. Set boundaries. Work with the problem when you are less frustrated. It is important everyone feels safe.
E - Empathize with those involved
- Everyone deserves respect. How could the other person be experiencing me? How will my actions impact others? What are others trying to express? How can we create understanding?