A white background with a yellow and blue BEAM logo at the top with the words “Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective” underneath. Blue text underneath with the words “HEALING & ACCOUNTABILITY WHEEL.” Underneath the text is a wheel with a blue border.
There are 4 main sections (clockwise from the top) - Love, Intimacy, Accountability, Communication. Each main section has two parts.
- Part 1 - “Sharing Power: Working together to find solutions; Sharing in responsibilities & child rearing; Honoring and outlining commitments; Transparency about intentions and choices.”
- Part 2 - “Creating Safety, Trust & Love: Respecting boundaries; Respecting mental, physical or emotional differences; Learning and respecting their love language; Respecting their health, HIV/STD status, gender, identity.”
- Part 1 - “Honoring/Affirming Feelings: Communicating feelings assertively and clearly; Validating & respecting experiences/opinions even when disagreeing; Not projecting intent onto partner’s choices.”
- Part 2 - “Staying Present: Not abandoning when difficult things come up/ghosting; Communicating when you need time alone and negotiating when things will be discussed; Avoiding phone/devices when difficult things come up; Engaging in active listening.”
- Part 1 - “Being accountable: Taking responsibility for your choices; Getting support to change harmful behaviors; Acknowledging the impacts of your actions, regardless of intent; Respecting space and time others need to heal from harm.”
- Part 2 - “Pleasure & Consent: Respecting when/how they want sec/touch and how they enjoy sex/touch; Respecting “no” whether verbal or non-verbal; Honoring relationship agreements (polyamory, monogamy, etc.); Affirming their body.”
- Part 1 - “Communicating Respectfully: Speaking in a tone or manner that is not harmful or degrading to others; Being mindful of what your body language is communicating; Communicating when you need time to calm down to not be disrespectful and when you will return.”
- Part 2 - “Sharing in Economic Decisions: Honesty and openness about finances; Transparency about how shared resources are spent; Honoring financial agreements.” At the center of the wheel is a yellow circle with blue text that says “Building and maintaining trust; Shared decision making; Honoring strengths; Creating safety.”
At the bottom of the graphic in grey text are the words, “Copyright Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective 2017. www.beam.community. This wheel credits and builds upon the work of the Non Violence Wheel designed by New Hope for Women.”